Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Johnsongrass!

I've been trying to get rid of johnsongrass. I swear I had it gone last year, but it's back and stronger than ever this year. I suspect I missed a bunch because I just didn't want to see it. And now I'm paying the price.

I'm organic (and making every day Earth Day), so I don't want to spray anyway. Plus, I won't use a Monsanto product even if they paid me, so that leaves out round-up and many other common herbicides. But I started doing some research on how to control and eradicate it and found that it is rapidly becoming resistant to many common herbicides. So even if I wanted to spray, and didn't mind that it might kill all my plants, it might not do much good anyway.

My legs and hands are so sore. Even with gloves, I'm getting friction spots on my hands. My calves are cramping all night long and yet I've only cleared about 1/4 of what I have to clear. Sooo frustrating.

The good part of all this is that I feel like I'm burning some extra calories.

2 comments:

Tanya Brown said...

Here's an off-the-wall suggestion: vinegar.

I saw vinegar suggested as a herbicide on one of my mailing lists, doused some of the weeds in the front yard with it, and they upped and died. I don't know if it causes a long term issue with the pH of the soil, but it's certainly non-toxic.

Gaia said...

I've used vinegar in the past, the problem is that it might hurt my bedding plants. Another option is boiling water.

I have a flame weeder somewhere that I need to get Mr. Gaia to find and try out.