Monday, April 09, 2007

Gotta Get Goals

I've been asked to think about my Gotta Get Goals by Jenny at Green Mommy (you can check out her goals here).

I've been thinking about this and I think my goals are fairly common.

1) Financial Independence. I read Your Money or Your Life and I really want the life they describe. The idea that I can cut my expenses and increase my income so that at some point my investments are creating enough income that I don't have to work unless I want to? Heaven.

2) Peace. Mr. Gaia and I have always had very different money management styles. He does research carefully and get the best deals, but in the past he would buy things we didn't need because it was a good deal. Something changed in the past year and we are beginning to actually have peace in our home.

3) Travel. I really want to travel. Last year we were blessed and my father in law invited us to join him on a trip to Mexico. He gifted us with a place to stay, meals while there and paid for most of our activities. We only had to pay for airfare for the four of us. We had such a great time together and learned so much. I really want to do this more. I want to get to Europe and Asia. Australia, New Zealand and the Galapagos.

4) Sustainability. I want to make our lifestyle sustainable. We are working towards this by making our home more energy efficient, adjusting to warmer and cooler temps (so that we don't have to run the heater or air conditioner) and buying organic foods. We don't have a large lot, but it is large enough to supply at least a fairly good portion of our vegetables, if I will just do it. Eventually we will have solar panels and perhaps mini-turbines and rain barrels.

5) Giving. I want to be able to set up a foundation that will supply solar panels and/or mini-turbines to (eventually) anyone who wants them, starting with lower-income levels. Many people down here do not have electricity at all and other people pay 25-50% of their monthly income for electricity. The plan will be to supply them with the panels/turbines and then help them use the money they save/make to increase the energy efficiency of their home.

6) A Vocation. I have a career, but it isn't my calling. I'm not sure what my calling is, but I want to find it. I don't want to wake-up at retirement age and realize that I've spent all my time working at something I didn't like because I needed money and didn't have any better ideas.

7) Learn to speak Spanish. It's embarrassing that I don't speak more than a smattering of Spanish. I hate that I'm a typical American in this way (but I do at least have my passport).

If I can accomplish these, I will look back on my life and realize that I lived a great life.

I tag Tanya and any lurkers out there (I see you, but I don't know who you are, come forward and let me know)

1 comment:

Tanya Brown said...

Great stuff. Lovely and practical and idealistic.

I'm running behind this week, argh, but hope to have my response up in a couple of days. Thanks for the blog fodder!