Sunday, January 06, 2008

Spring day

Today was one of those wonderful spring days that most people get in April or May. It was around 80F and breezy as all get out.

Perfect day to do laundry. I did one load, hung it on the line and it was dry long before the other load was finished washing. I only did the 2 loads and really should have done a couple more to take full advantage of the weather, but I have laundry on my couch from before Christmas (I, apparently, am the only one capable of sorting it for putting it away - yes, my kids are spoiled).

Some time back, Sally spoke of her adventures with sour dough bread. At the time I was working with amish friendship bread - which I've since killed. Yeah, I suck that way. But, I got a sourdough starter from a friend and decided to try it. I've kept it alive for well over a month (divided it once) and today I baked my first loaf. I was really afraid it would be VERY sour because it traveled to Oklahoma and back with me and wasn't refrigerated during the trip. But it turned out really well. Next time I do it, I'll plan to let it rise overnight and put it in the solar oven. I half wanted to do that last night, but we were out of flour and Mr. Gaia didn't want to drag out the grain mill while we were trying to get the kids settled down for the night (it is rather loud). I feel like we really wasted the sun today.

Hopefully tomorrow will be as sunny and breezy and I can get another load of laundry done. I'm not sure if I have anything to be cooked in the solar oven or not, but I'll ask Mr. Gaia to think to see if there is anything we can do.

No comments: