Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Oops

Yesterday was a bad day at work. It started when I got there and my desk was covered with notes and files from other people and I couldn't even see my own files. Then a note said "couldn't find this file, blah, blah, blah". I walked over to the file cabinet and it was EXACTLY where it was supposed to be. Her excuse? Your desk is scary and I couldn't find it there. Well, yeah, because it wasn't there. It was where it was supposed to be.

So another coworker made a snippy comment to me in front of the boss and I lost it. I sniped back and we had a snipe fest in front of the boss. I think he was shocked and amused. I tend to really roll with the punches and the abuse at work. But I just couldn't take it. He treated me very well for the rest of the day. Alas, it didn't carry over until today.

I'm really burned out at my job. I have too much to do and not enough time to do it. I've explained that and I've shown them my to do list and asked them to priortize it. They know I'm that busy, but they are so concerned with bringing in money (which I'm sure is a valid concern) that they keep taking on new cases. Part of that is that the main source of income (real estate) has slowed down to the point where it's no longer the main source of income. So they pile the work on my and one other worker while the rest of the employees do less and less. Now, my work is for the most part plug and chug. With a little bit of training, anyone could pretty much do 90% of my work. But will they start training some of the real estate workers to do some of my more simple (and real estate related) tasks? Nope. Because they will complain about how busy they are.

Mr. Gaia might have the opportunity to be transferred. If he does get transferred, I will have an excuse to abandon this job. I hate it because there are parts of it I LOVE and find stimulating. It just gets bogged down by all the secretarial crap (they really need to hire someone to handle the simplest tasks so I can concentrate on the stuff that needs specialized training). And I'm getting bogged down by the petty office behavior. Standing outside of my cubicle talking VERY loudly while I'm trying to talk on the phone. Taking 30-45 minutes every morning for a breakfast break. All this while claiming to be sooo much busier than everyone else.

2 comments:

Tanya Brown said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry. This situation sounds awfully frustrating.

Jenny said...

I could have written that post. Today I joked with DH that we should just dump all our stuff and hit the road--that anything has got to be better than this.

I hope it gets better for you.