Sunday, June 24, 2007

Wardrobe Refashion

Some of my favorite bloggers are doing (or have done) Wardrobe Refashion. This idea intrigues me. I've spent the whole weekend ignoring Mr. Gaia to read the archives.

They make it look so easy. I want to try sewing. I have a sewing machine in my closet that I got 12 years ago. It's been out of the box once - to make sure it worked. I don't even know how to thread it anymore.

Here are the projects I want to try:
1) Fixing a stained t-shirt that fits like a dream and is the best color for me - but it got hit by some Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream. In two spots. The main idea I've gotten it to cover the spots with embroidery - which I don't know how to do.
2) Make an a-line skirt out of a yard of remnant fabric I have. I think it would be enough for a shortish skirt and then I could crochet an edging on it (I do know how to do basic crochet). I love a-line skirts and they appear to be the most flattering for me.
3) Remake a nice heavy silk blouse that currently is just a huge square with huge sleeves. I suspect this once had shoulder pads, given the way the shoulder drapes. I think if I took it apart and then found a pattern for a fitted blouse I like, I could use the buttons and buttons holes already on the blouse and remake it from there. This would require learning to sew (I have sewn before, but it's been close to 20 years) and learning to set sleeves.
4) Take in some t-shirts to be more fitted and flattering. This appears to be the easiest remake from the comments in the archives.
5) Remake a really long unflattering skirt into a nice a-line skirt. There is so much fabric in this skirt that I think I could get a really nice twirly skirt out of it. More than the simple a-line skirt that I could do with the remnant.

I'm basically already doing the pledge. I haven't bought any new clothes (other than pajama pants) in months - just thrift store clothes. But I'm not sure I'm ready to fully take the pledge - mainly because I wouldn't be able to post refashions and currently can't do pics (I have a feeling Mr. Gaia may get me a camera for my next birthday but that's still 2 months away).

Biking - no biking today as it was raining, AGAIN! Here in the subtropics we're not sure what to think. I've seen a ton of idiots mowing their lawns today - in the rain. I guess they don't know how to handle rain and the lawn needing to be mowed. We did take a short walk, though.

No comments: