Monday, May 28, 2007

The urge to buy

I've been using hotel bottles of shampoo to save some money and to stop waste. I'm not even halfway through my stash and yet every time I walk into a store, I gravitate to looking at the shampoo aisle. I *know* I don't need shampoo, but not having that big bottle is freaking me out.

We went to Sam's yesterday (yeah I know, I don't like Wal*Mart either). The whole trip was a struggle to not buy anything I don't need. We did manage to get out with just a couple of items - cat litter and pajama pants (which I don't exactly need but they were really cheap and this will let me save my yoga pants). I looked at the aprons because I use them when I bake bread, but decided that my two are enough (and it isn't like they were on sale and a really good deal).

I wonder when I will be able to go into a store without feeling the urge to spend money we don't actually have (or money we do have but which could be better used elsewhere)?

Today was a cleaning day. I got all but one load of laundry done but none of it put away. The boys cleaned their rooms. Mr. Gaia filed the paperwork and started cleaning off the counter. I cleaned my desk and the floor in the family room. Still so much to do and only tomorrow to do it. And I have to work! Sigh.

1 comment:

Tanya Brown said...

I know the financial situation is challenging in many ways, but you have my respect for approaching it in a responsible fashion.

Today I received Yet Another Phonecall from a relative wanting money. A relative who can't differentiate emergencies from poor planning or needs from wants. (Actually, that's an accurate description of most of my relatives.)

It's refreshing to read the story of someone who has a healthier attitude toward money, who's controlling the things she can control and not sacrificing her children's well-being for the sake of a new TV and a cell phone that has cutesy little multi-colored lights that flash when a call is coming in.