Monday, February 11, 2008

31 Days To Fix Your Finances, Day 19

31 Days To Fix Your Finances, Day 19: Evaluating Your Expenses - Automobiles

Today is ways to save automobile expenses.

1) Coast to a stop. I always do this. If I see a "stale green" light (a light that has been green for several blocks), I take my foot off the brake so I don't have to slam on my brakes when it turns yellow. Doing this got me significantly more mileage on my brakes.

2) Don't speed. I'm so guilty of this. Although, I almost never drive on the highway anymore, so I don't get the chance to speed. Most of my commute is through school zones and I don't EVER speed through those.

3) Clean out your air filter. I never thought of this one - just shake or blow out the dirt.

4) Properly inflate your tires. I need to do this more regularly. I do check on it every other month or so, but that's not really enough.

5) Keep your car clean to reduce the weight. Another thing I'm guilty about. The kids dump their stuff in there and never take it out.

6) Keep an eye on gas station prices. This one really doesn't fit me. I only fill up once/month and only have 2 stations along my commute and both are the same company.

No comments: