Thursday, January 31, 2008

Update on Day 3

Previously on Day 3 I set up a time line that included things to be done in the next 3 days. Umm, yeah, I kind of forgot about it, but here's my update:

1) Complete the Texas Master Naturalist course.
In the next 3 days I will confirm that they received my background check form. This is done, I've received my confirmation and even got the class list. It's 27 people - 14 women, 13 men.
In the next week I will find the schedule and get it added to my calendar. This is done as well, although it's Mr. Gaia that added it to the calendar.
Every week I will plan our family schedule to allow me to have the evening free. I've checked for conflicts so far and only have one conflict that will require either hiring a babysitter or taking the kids with me (with their DSs they should be fine)
Next month I will actually start the classes (yay!) Classes start February 6, I can't wait
In the next six months I will complete the classes and figure out the schedule to complete the necessary volunteer hours.

2) Complete Certified Arborist certification.
In the next 3 days I will find gather all of my study materials together. This is done
In the next week I will find a test date that works for me and register. My test date is April 18. I'm not registered yet because they don't have the registration forms available.
Every week I will study planning my time to study and have review before the test. I need to set up a schedule but haven't done it yet. Sigh.
Next month I will evaluate my study plan and make sure that I am studying the material as quickly as necessary to be ready for the exam.
In the next six months I will complete the exam and become certified (yay!)

3) Start a 529 plan for each of the boys.
In the next 3 days I will research the plan that will work for us (with an emphasis on social responsibility investments) and determine how much we will need to save for their education. Mr. Gaia has been researching plans (he's a wonderful man) and has decided that since Texas has no income tax, there's no real benefit to us if we keep the investment in Texas, but since the grandparents all live in Oklahoma, if they choose to contribute, they'd be better off if we set it up in Oklahoma. There's no social responsibility fund, but we can do community bonds.
In the next week I will evaluate the budget to figure out how much we can save. Mr. Gaia and I are working on this, I did get a small raise and his car is paid off next month. The plan is to figure out how much we will want to save for them (he believes strongly that they should have to use some of their own money) and how much we are willing to divert from debt repayment.
Every week I will put aside money to invest.
Next month I will evaluate if we are saving enough to actually cover most of their needs.
In the next six months I will have the plan started and have saved at least $1,000.

4) Continue to eat healthful and organic foods and lose this extra 20 pounds.
In the next 3 days I will list the vegetables and fruits I like. I haven't done this yet.
In the next week I will buy one new vegetable to add to my diet. Nor have I done this. Mr. Gaia has been doing the shopping
Every week I will track my calorie intake and nutritional value of my diet. I'm using fitday.com for this and so far it's going really well.
Next month I will figure out if I've managed to cut enough calories to lose weight.
In the next six months I will lose 10 pounds.

5) Grow a garden to provide at least 50% of our vegetables this year.
In the next 3 days I will make an inventory of my current seeds. Not done at all
In the next week I will clear a small area and plant one variety. Mr. Gaia suggests using containers and he's supposed to help me pick which ones and the potting soil.
Every week I will clear another small area and plant another variety.
Next month I will figure out a plan to grow all year round (yay! subtropics).
In the next 6 months I will supply at least 25% of our vegetables for our table.

Those are the short term goals. And now for the long term goals:

1) To work full time as a naturalist in a state or national park.
In the next week I will explore spanish lessons. I really need to do this. Mr. Gaia and I had talked about buying a program but we didn't and I don't know why we didn't. I'd rather do something at home than a formal class.
In the next month I will start working on my Master Naturalist and Certified Arborist certifications.
Every month I will learn about a new bird, animal, plant or tree and give mini lessons to my kids and any other kids around.
In the next year I will complete my Master Naturalist and Certified Arborist Certifications.
In the next 3 years I will learn spanish and at least be moderately conversant in it.

2) To provide financial and emotional support to my boys as they complete their college education.
In the next week I will work evaluate my budget with an eye to saving for college. We are working on this.
In the next month I will start funding their 529 plans.
Every month I will invest money in their plans.
In the next year I will invest $1,000 for each child.
In the next 3 years, I will make sure that each child has enough money saved to pay for at least one year of college (including books and housing expenses).

3) To find a meaningful and effective organization to work with as a volunteer and donor to work to achieve social justice.
In the next week I will seek to educate myself about the pressing issues in my area. Right now the most pressing issue is the border wall. I've found out that my work is apparently representing one of the landowners so I may have a chance to get involved in the lawsuit.
In the next month I will figure out what skills I can provide.
Every month I will donate at least a token amount to a worthy charity.
In the next year I will begin volunteer work with a worthy charity.
In the next 3 years I will involve my family in volunteering.

4) To maintain and healthy and active lifestyle including hiking and biking regularly.
In the next week I will figure out an exercise routine I can maintain. Other than walking to the school, I haven't figured this out. I'm making a conscious effort to have good posture which pulls in the abdominal muscles and speed walking.
In the next month I will start biking again.
Every month I will bike at least 10 miles.
In the next year I will figure out a way to bike to work.
In the next 3 years I will join a biking group.

5) To be financially independent and only work when and where we want.
In the next week I will make a list of all of our debts and liabilities. This is done
In the next month I will make a "snowball" schedule. Figuring this out - Mr. Gaia suggests we might want to invest while the stock market is low and our only debts are low interest.
Every month I will evaluate our expenditures versus our investment income.
In the next year I will figure out how much money we need to have invested to provide enough income to meet our current needs.
In the next 3 years I will pay off all debts except my mortgage and pay enough on my mortgage to have 75% equity.

No comments: