Friday, November 02, 2007

Water saving epiphany

We have a leaky faucet. It's one of the hazards of living in the valley - the water is so salty and so hard that it just destroys all metals including the ones that make the faucets. Seriously, our faucets disintegrate after about 5 years.

Clearly we need to replace it, but meanwhile, I've shoved a cup under it with the plan of using that water in the toilet. This has prompted me to make another change.

We've all heard to turn the water off while we brush. So most of us have stopped doing that.

Lately the news has been all about washing hands well and lathering them for the time it takes to sing the alphabet song through twice. With cold and flu season coming on, I've found that my kids really are washing their hands better. So I'm hearing the water running constantly. The cup overflows before it's time to flush the toilet. What a waste!

My epiphany? Turn the faucet on to wet your hands (keeping a little cupped in one hand) then turn it off. Lather your hands and scrub them for the requisite time, then turn the faucet back on to rinse your hands. Much less water used!

No comments: