Sunday, August 19, 2007

Waiting for the hurrricane

At this point, we aren't even in the cone, so we should feel safe, right? But it doesn't work that way.

The Red Cross issued a voluntary evacuation for our area, but I doubt most people are leaving. Where will we go? How will we afford to lose time off work and stay in a hotel? Especially if the hurricane actually hits where they project (instead of here)?

So, this is the waiting game. Checking weather underground every few hours to see what the latest projections show. If we evacuate, it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before we leave and really, we won't know until then whether we will or won't.

Do be praying for our friends in the Mayan Riviera. They are pretty much guaranteed a direct hit. They were hit by Emily and Wilma in 2005 and are still recovering from those. If it does hit, there will be a donation link on this site, so if you have any extra, please share.


Tanya Brown said...

I will be thinking of you and your family and wish you, as well as everyone in the path of this dreadful storm, the very best.

FEMA claims it's better prepared this time than it was for Katrina, and that evacuations of Mexican nationals across the border will be expedited if necessary. I hope they're telling the truth.

Green SAHM said...

Best of luck to you and to the people who will be hit.

Jenny said...

Very frightening indeed. I am thinking about your family.