Thursday, June 14, 2007

Good Books

Back to the Damn Soil I love this book. Written by a woman describing life in WWII Tulsa County. She and her husband and three kids moved to the family farm. As far as I can tell from what I remember of Tulsa (a lovely town, really!) the farm is pretty much in the middle of a housing subdivision.

Dear Earth: A Love Letter from Spring Hollow A very well written book. This is the experience of a couple moving from 1980s Tulsa to the Ozarks. I think she does a marvelous job of writing about her love of the environment.

A Very Small Farm I really can't say enough wonderful things about this book. The experience of a 1990s college graduate who didn't know what to do with life so he bought a small farm in Oklahoma and lived on it. It's a nice collection of essays about how he lived his life.

Breaking the Oklahoma theme (hey, to a lot of people Oklahoma is wheat fields and empty plains, to those of us who grew up in the hills, it's a siren call):

Mountain Time: A Yellowstone Memoir Oh My GOD!!! I love this book. This has been sitting on our shelf for years. Mr. Gaia bought it before we even met. I never thought to pick it up. But once I did, I couldn't put it down. It's written in the early 1980s (so before the big fire) and I really want to have a conversation with the author to find out how the administrations since he wrote the book and especially since the fire have changed his views. This book has helped me see what I want to be when I grow up. I really want to be a park interpreter. Unfortunately, you can't support a family on the measly salary interpreters get.

Biking:

84.9. 91% humidity. 10mph SE wind. 3.46 miles.

No comments: