Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday Random Thoughts

1) I watched "Cover Girl" with Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly last night. Who does Gene Kelly remind me of? Is there a new actor that looks like him? I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any of his other movies (yes, I had a deprived childhood, I'm working on it now, okay?)

2) Wholegrain pancakes can be really good. The key is real vanilla (which we get cheap from Mexico, one of the perks of living in South Texas).

3) Superbowl Sunday sucks. There is nothing decent on TV, not even any good old movies. I've watched all the movies I taped (except "The Blues Brothers" and a couple I taped for the kids). I'm one minute away from watching "The Producers" which I suspect Mr. Gaia taped for us to watch together.

4) Yes, by "taped" I mean recorded on the DVR. Yes, I'm a dinosaur.

5) Speaking of dinosaur, Mr. Gaia and I are the same age. How is it that he makes me feel so ancient when I mention songs from HS - like "Armegeddon it" and "(That Girl is) Poison". He barely even seems to recognized the names of the groups - Def Leppard and Bel Biv Devoe. We won't even mention the look he gave me when I mentioned "Funky Cold Medina".

6) I really want another cat. I want a cute, cuddly kitten.

7) Speaking of cute, cuddly kittens, is there a reason why "The Closer" chose to use kittens that were several weeks old to stand in for what were supposed to be newborn kittens? Their eyes were open for cryin' out loud.

8) And is it asking too much for medical dramas to get their facts straight when discussing pregnancy and birth. A woman who was raped one week before is most likely not going to test positive on a pregnancy test unless they are using a very, very sensitive test. Plus, that would be too early for a surgical abortion given that the fetus likely isn't even implanted yet.

9) There are reasons people might choose not to have their preteen child get the HPV vaccine other than that they don't want them to think it's a free pass to have sex. Let's just say I'm glad I have boys and it isn't a decision I have to make just yet. After the rotavirus vaccine issue, I'm quite skeptical of new vaccines. My kids are (now) fully vaccinated except for the prevnar vaccine.

10) In fact, if I had a girl and chose to get this vaccine, I doubt I'd tell her much about it. For one thing, this vaccine doesn't prevent all cervical cancers (and believe me, I'd tell her that) and clearly doesn't protect against AIDS and other STDs.

11) I am glad, though, that insurance companies will have to pay for the vaccine in Texas. I just wish there were a better way to make them pay for it other than mandating all school girls get the vaccine (yes, you can opt out, but it isn't the easiest procedure known to man).

1 comment:

Marty said...

Thanks for visiting The Homefront Gaia Girl. How long have you lived in Texas?